Happy New Year scrappy friends! Laura here today sharing my first layout of the year.
I’ve used the Paige Evans pre cut Origami Birds cut on white card. You can find them here; they are also available in black or cream.
I’ve used black and white patterned project life cards from a recent Quirky Kit and added in a pop of colour with a green polka dot paper from Jillibean Soup. I cut small pieces to back each of the openings making sure to vary the patterns. When I tried to fit all 4 birds on to my 12×12 base I found I was running out of room. In order to fit two photos and still keep the white space I crave I put one of the birds aside to use on a future layout or card.
After working out my placement I removed the birds and photos and added a few splatters to the background. I went with green and yellow to tie in with the photos. When they were dry I added the birds and photos back on top and secured with a little adhesive. I left the edges free from glue so they could curl up slightly adding movement to the page.
Next up came my title… I worked out on a piece of scrap if I had enough alphas left on my sheet of Jillibean Soup Alphabeans. I didn’t, I was a couple of T’s short. That was easily solved with a little alpha surgery – sacrificing a couple of J’s, a P and an L to piece together the T’s I needed. It was a bit of trial and error to get the spacing right but eventually I settled on a layout I liked.
I ran a line of yellow sewing through the centre of each line of alphas to keep the secure. I thought that was done but the more I looked the more I thought the lower half of the alphas needed a bit of help to stand out. I hate outlining alphas as I always go over the edge, or smudge the ink, or mess up in some other way. Taking it slow and steady I got there with just a few wobbles!
You can see the process video here.
Thanks for looking!